Artists

Ralph Brown

Ralph Brown was born in Leeds in 1928. After studying at Leeds Grammar School (1939-46) he did National Service in the RAF (1946-48). He attended Leeds School of Art (1948-51) and Hammersmith School of Art, London (1951-52), and then studied sculpture at the Royal College of Art (1952-56). Ralph Brown unfortunately passed away in 2013.

Brown exhibited widely in the course of his life, was represented by Pangolin Gallery and elected a Royal Academician in 1972

After a visit to Paris in 1951 Brown became inspired by sculptors Auguste Rodin, Alberto Giacometti and Germaine Richier. Later, in 1954, he made a special study of Rodin whilst in Paris on a scholarship to work in the studio of Ossip Zadkine. During the same visit he met Giacometti and Richier. In 1956 he published a thesis, Some Digressions on Rodin and Medardo Rosso and completed a further scholarship, awarded by the University of London in 1957. Henry Moore later sponsored his practice, which enabled him to visit Italy where he made a particular study of Etruscan sculpture and the work of Giovanni Pisano and Piero della Francesca. Brown visited the studios of Marino Marini, Giacomo Manzù and Emilio Greco. At this time he also worked for a period in Cannes making mosaic panels for Picasso.

Browns work is deeply rooted in figurative tradition but has a sensitive approach to the human form that is suggestive of movement and human experience. Brown's work frequently displays gently erotic forms that can be missed if his work is only observed momentarily. His work is layered with savagery only discernible to the perceptive eye, much like how often the layers of human emotion remain carefully hidden underneath the surface of twentieth century constructed identity.

Share:

​Ralph Brown, ​La Sposa, 2000

Ralph Brown

Artist
Born:
1928

CASS Artworks by Ralph Brown

2000

La Sposa

This sensuous sculpture, which in a sense is a two-sided relief, is a development of Relief: Bride (1975), a wall relief…

2000

Meat Porters

Meat Porters was made in response to a commission by Harlow Art Trust for the town's Market Square in 1960. Previously a…